2.12 Release Notes
There has not been a Bugzilla release for a while, but
development has continued, and the Bugzilla team is proud
to announce release of Bugzilla 2.12.
Recommended Practice For The Upgrade
As always, please ensure you have ran checksetup.pl after
replacing the files in your installation.
It is recommended that you view the sanity check page
(sanitycheck.cgi) both before the upgrade and after running
checksetup.pl after the upgrade, to see if there are any
problems with your installation.
It is also recommended that if you can, you immediately fix
any problems you find. Be aware that if the sanity check page
contains more errors after an upgrade, it doesn't necessarily
mean there are more errors in your database, as it is likely
they weren't being checked for in the old version.
New email tech for email notifications is now recommended.
Old email tech will probably be removed in Bugzilla 2.14.
It is strongly recommended that you turn on the newemailtech
and newemailtechdefault options on the Edit Parameters page
(editparams.cgi), so new accounts will use new email tech.
If you wish, you may move all old accounts over to new email
tech by executing the following SQL statement in MySQL:
UPDATE profiles SET newemailtech = '1';
About This Version
Bugs referenced in the following text are bug numbers on
*** IMPORTANT CHANGES ***
- There is now a facility for new email tech users to choose
the sort of notifications they wish to receive. This
facility will probably be improved in future versions.
- "Changed" will no longer appear on the subject line of
change notification emails. Because of this, you should
change the subject line in your 'changedmail' and
'newchangedmail' params on editparams.cgi. The subject
line needs to be changed from
Subject: [Bug %bugid%] %neworchanged% - %summary%
Subject: [Bug %bugid%] %neworchanged%%summary%
or whatever is appropriate for the subject you are using
on your system. Note the removal of the " - " in the
- Some security holes have been fixed where shell escape characters
could be passed to Bugzilla, allowing remote users to execute
system commands on the web server.
*** Other changes of note ***
- Bug titles now appear in the page title, and will hence
display in the user's browser's bookmarks and history.
- Edit groups functionality (editgroups.cgi).
- Support for moving bugs to other Bugzilla databases.
- Bugzilla now can generate a frequently reported bugs list
based on what duplicates you receive.
- When installing Bugzilla fresh, the administrator account is
now created in checksetup.pl.
- Stored queries now show their name above the bug list, which
helps the user when they have multiple bug lists in multiple
browser windows. It also appears in the page title, and will
hence display in the user's browser's bookmarks and history.
- All states and resolutions can now be collected for charting.
- A new search-engine-like "quick search" feature appears on
the front page to try and making searching easier.
- Querying on dependencies now works in the advanced query
section of the query page.
- When a bug is marked as a duplicate, the reporter of the
resolved bug is automatically added to the CC list of the
*** Bug fixes of note ***
- Notification emails using new email tech will now be sent to
- When marking a bug as a duplicate, the duplicate stamp marked
on the open bug will no longer be written too early (such as
on mid-air collisions).
- Various bug fixes were made to the initial assignee and QA
of a component. It is no longer possible to enter an
invalid address. They will also now properly update when
a user's email address is changed. Sanity check will now
- Administrators can no longer create an email accounts that do
not match the global email regexp parameter. Previously this
would cause sanity check errors.
- The resolution field can no longer become empty when the
bug is resolved. This occurred because of midair collisions.
*** Outstanding issues of note ***
- Bug counts (on reports.cgi) can be very slow if you have to
count a lot of bugs. In this case the connection can time
out before the page finishes loading. Extending the cgi
timeout on your web server might help this situation.
- Administrators must make sure that certain files are
properly inaccessible or confidential information might become
available to enterprising individuals. This includes the
localconfig file, the entire shadow directory and the entire
data directory except for data/comments (the quips file).
- Renaming or removing keywords will not update the "keyword
cache", and queries on keywords may not work properly, until
you rebuild the cache on the sanity check page
(sanitycheck.cgi). The changer will receive a warning to do
this when altering the keyword.
- Email notifications will not work out of the box if you are
using Postfix, Exim or possibly other non-SendMail mail
transfer agents, as Bugzilla sends mail by default in
"deferred" mode using the "-ODeliveryMode=deferred" command
line option, which needs to be supported by the sendmail
program. To fix this, you can turn on the "sendmailnow"
parameter on the Edit Parameters page (editparams.cgi).